Dialectical Behavior Therapy Consultation
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a leading example of an evidence-based practice. Originally developed as an outpatient treatment, DBT has more recently been applied in diverse settings such as public schools, community-based group homes, hospitals and outreach treatment settings.
DBT has been proven to be effective with people who are in persistent emotional distress, have chronically unstable relationships, and present with recurrent self-injury and/or suicidal behavior. DBT has been used to treat high performing, but distressed students, seriously disturbed adolescents, people with eating disorders, substance use disorders and people with persistent mental illness and/or developmental disabilities.
DBT is a supportive and collaborative treatment that emphasizes skill-building and highly individualized treatment plans. The treatment is delivered in two modalities: DBT Skills Groups and Individual Therapy.
Since the inception of DBT, it has been adapted by The Bridgto treat various populations:
- Young adults
- Adults with mental illness
- Adults with traumatic brain injury
- Adults with mental illness and problematic sexual behaviors
- Adults with developmental disabilities
- Older adults with depressive symptoms
- Individuals with eating disorders
- Individuals with substance abuse and/or dependence
The Bridge has received numerous awards and recognition for our state-of-the-art work with DBT, including the American Psychiatric Association Gold Award in 2004.
Training and Consultation
The decision to develop a DBT program or convert an existing program to the DBT model calls for thoughtful planning. Bridge consultants have extensive experience planning and implementing successful new programming. We can help your organization or school:
- Create customized DBT training that suit your clientele and program goals,
- Work with leadership members to develop a strategic plan for program transition to the DBT treatment model,
- Devise a uniquely customized DBT-based behavior management systems,
- Develop specialized applications
- Supervise clinicians as they develop expertise, and
- Provide ongoing support.
Some of the organizations we have helped include:
Harvard-Vanguard Behavioral Health, Massachusetts Department of Youth Services, New York State Office of Development Disabilities, Alabama Mentoring Network, Denver Health Systems, The Mental Health Association of Lowell, Community Counseling of Bristol County, Baycove Human Services, The Key Program, and Deveraux,
In addition, we have provided training and consultation at the following schools: Algonquin Regional High School, Assabet Valley Collaborative, Dover-Sherborn, Fairfield CT, Greenwich CT, Marlborough Schools, Mendon-Upton Regional Schools, Milford, Millis, Nashoba Regional, Reading, Scituate, Wachusett Regional, Westborough and Westport CT.
For more information, please contact:
Director of Training and Consultation